Thursday, January 28, 2010

Up Late

For those of you that know me, I am never up late. Which can means only one thing, something is really bothering me. I have always considered myself a very loving and forgiving person. I have always thought that I strive to find the good in everyone. But now I am not so sure.
How do you teach someone to love everyone. How do you teach someone that you can love and care about someone without supporting the choices they have made? How do you teach someone right from wrong without coming off as judgmental? How do you teach someone to love with the pure love of Christ?
I know that most of you are thinking, by example duh. But is it really that easy. I have/had friends that smoke and drink and probly do drugs as well. They sleep around and party it up. I don't support what they do but I believe I still love and care about them and would do anything for them. How did I learn this? How did I learn that I could be friends with them and not do what they do? And how do I teach others this as well? Or am I really that way? Or do I just want to be that way?
Just some thoughts. Like always I ask to many questions.

2 comments:

TrishAnderson said...

You know, Josh and I just finished a conversation about almost the same thing. The one thing he reminded me is the quote by Boyd K Packer that states that the study of doctrine will change behavior faster than the study of behavior. I say continue to love purely as you have and try to testify of truth/doctrine every moment you get the opportunity to. It may be the catalyst they need, however, they still have their own agency and we can't change them. I have two brothers that I wish would make different choices (many of the same things you listed in your post). All of this "advice" is what I follow. They know I love them unconditionally, they know what I believe and I am not afraid to tell them. I feel that eventually they will come around, but will it will be in their own time. You are wonderful.

porter and karla said...

I see where you are coming from, sort of. My family members are not members of the church. They make differnet choices then I do and have very different standards then I do as well. Yes port and I do believe example is key but also we try to follow the spirit and pray for guidance often on what we should do. Someone can see you have true happiness. Not happiness that will come and go with an addiction but true happiness from doing what is right and it will show. Also service. I have found service really does wonders for situations like this. It is something that takes time as well. Sometimes it takes a trial for someone to want to change and at that point the light that you are can help guide them to the Savior,the truth and the happiness that only comes from Him.