
WARNING: Remember I intend for this to be a journal, with that said feel free to read. And yes Heidy and Heather I over use commas and I am sure there are tons of grammatical errors. : o)
Two of the cutest and sweetest people in my life are getting married (Devon and Elizabeth), and with that excitement came the remembrance of the some of the happiest memories in my life.
I was 20, getting ready to finish my time at college and wondering what I would do next. I had dated a few different people, in fact I was dating someone that summer, but no one really seemed to know the real me. I had spent so much time trying to be someone I wasn't. At this time I was strongly thinking about serving a mission for my church, but deep down I knew that wasn't the plan for me. I was sitting at a table with my room mates and a bunch of guys from our ward (church), we were talking about what color our tooth brushes were, when I said blue he laugh. Upon my questioning "what on earth is so funny about me having a blue toothbrush?" he simply responded "I would have guessed pink, you seem like a girly girl". In my head I was furious. I am a recreation major for crying out loud. I could live off of bugs for a week, I drive a truck, and I don't need anyone! Over the next few months we continued to fight like cats and dogs. It seemed like every time we were in the same room together I would end up leaving in tears and he would have no idea. I also broke up the the guy I was dating because in his words, "you just aren't confident enough to be my girl friend". Until that one August day, after a week of trying to muster the courage, I called, "Hey Jeff, I am cooking dinner for some of my friends that I am trying to set up, and well, umm I was wondering if you could come eat with us so I don't have to be alone, I mean just as friends?" Of course he said yes, then called back a few days later. I was sure he had seen right through me and decided to cancel, but instead he was offering to come help me cook.
I think that night was the best "non date" I had ever been on. I found myself laughing, playing and just being me. We ate dinner, played at the park, he even pushed me on the swing. Over the next week I found myself thinking about him and at the same time dreading having to see him again.
On a Wednesday afternoon the call came 'hey you want to go out friday night?" Of course I said yes and then immediately was terrified. His room mate was over so I asked Devon if he would go out side with me. I expressed to him how sacred I was, that I was afraid it was a "pitty date" and if that was the case I really didn't want to go. Devon assured me it wasn't and then promised not to tell.
The next date went just as good as the first, expect for the part where Jeff took me aside and asked "Do I really seem like the kind of guy that would take someone on a pitty date?" (Thanks Devon)
Bur from there everything just fell into place. I was telling him things I had never told anyone. For once I felt comfortable in my own skin. I never had to worry about saying the wrong thing or sounding stupid. And before I knew it we were in love.
One Sunday afternoon the phone rings "hey hun I want to make you dinner tonight, I will pick you up at 5 oh and where a dress". As we pull up the the park there is a beautiful table with and pretty box right on top of the plate, and a handsome server all dressed up (Devon). Me being me, move the box out of the way and we began eating a very yummy stake dinner. After dinner Jeff asked me to open the box and of course there was a pretty ring inside. From that moment on I knew I had found happiness. I knew that with him I could conquer the world, I could do whatever I set my mind to.
Now Jeff and I have the most perfect son named . . . . . Devon. And for those of you who don't know yet we are expecting another baby in December, if she is a girl we plan to name her Kadee Elizabeth.
Big Devon I don't think you will ever know how much Jeff and I love and care about you. Sometimes it feels like you are our son with how proud we are of you. Beth you are such a strong women, that is why I want to name my daughter after you. From the time I met you I knew you were someone to look up to and admire. You both have touched our lives so much and we wish you the very best.
Little Devon I want you to know why you were named Devon. Without Big Devon mommy never would have dated daddy. Also mommy had never met someone so strong and honest as Big Devon. I hope that you will have just a loving heart and a desire to learn just like Big Devon's.
3 comments:
very sweet!
That was beautiful, Cariann. I'm so excited to hang out with you this summer! Also, my toothbrush is blue, and I over-use commas too. :D
Cariann I love you. Thank you so much for sharing that story. You guys are just wonderful and I look up to you both a lot. I'm so glad I got to know you and that Devon and I have you in our lives. :) :)
Post a Comment