Sunday, August 15, 2010

Answered Prayers

I believe I took my very first piano lesson when I was about 7 years old. I had a supper yucky teacher that would hit my hands with a ruler if I did something wrong or didn't have perfect form. Needless to say I didn't stick with it long. But a few years later I again wanted to learn and my parents found me a new teacher, again this lasted for about 4 months. Then some how when I was about 16 or so I convinced my parents yet again that I wanted to learn to play the piano, this however did stick until I left for college. Well here we are about 8 years later and again i wanted to learn to play the piano. (even though I took lessons for almost 2 years straight I wasn't very good) So I found myself a teacher, took months to work up the courage to ask her if she would teach me and then took another few weeks to set up a time. Here I am about 2 months into it, I am still not every good. I still don't have much time to practice but I don't think I could ever have found a more perfect teacher. As many of you know I use to dance A LOT. So for me music isn't about sitting and listening, it's about listening and doing. This has made it really hard for me to be able to keep a beat or look at music and play the beat. So my teacher was trying to get me to play the notes right and I began to explain to her that I needed to know when to move my fingers not home long they needed to stay on the key, she looked at me and said "are you a dancer" to which I replied yes. She then went on to explain everything totally different and I actually got it. Then I find out she plays for the ballet classes at UA and teaches a class to the dancers about music. Like I said couldn't have found a more perfect teacher if I searched for a million years.
I am sure you are all reading this thinking and this is a answer to prayers? Well I have always felt that I NEEDED to learn to play the piano, that for some reason this was something Heavenly Father really wanted me to do. So after going through so many teachers and still not getting it I finally said "hey look if this is something I need to do please help me to find someone that will be able to teach me in a way that I will understand". So there you go. It's something totally silly to but it's true. God hears and answers!

1 comment:

Aselin said...

What a great perspective! Can't wait to see a video posted of your results. Mwah!